Born, bred and based in Liverpool it’s something we already knew but it’s now official … Liverpool has been crowned the happiest marriage capital of the UK!
To celebrate Beaverbrooks 100 year birthday, they asked the Nation to get involved in a survey of British couples which confirmed 48% of us Scousers class ourselves as having an extremely happy marriage compared to a national average of 38%.
It was also revealed Liverpudlian couples spent the most quality time together at 27 hours per week and 48% tell their other half they love them every single day … and anyone who has been to a family do with Liverpudlians can probably vouch for this as you all know it takes a good half hour to leave a party with all the hugs and kisses that go hand in hand with Scouse families 🙂
Top 10 cities with the happiest marriages:
- Liverpool – 48%
- Nottingham – 47%
- Plymouth – 44%
- Cardiff – 43%
- London – 43%
- Sheffield – 42%
- Stoke on Trent – 42%
- Leeds – 41%
- Newcastle – 41%
- Oxford – 41%
The survey also asked couples to reveal the secrets of a happy marriage … and we think they make sound sense to us!
Top 20 secrets of a happy marriage:
- Know when to apologise – 46%
- Be reliable – 46%
- Never take each other forgranted – 44%
- Say ‘I love you’ regularly – 43%
- Always find time for each other – 43%
- Learn to agree to disagree – 42%
- Always kiss goodbye – 42%
- Kiss regularly – 41%
- Share the household burden – 41%
- Always share a bed – 40%
- Share a sense of humour – 39%
- Know that your friendship is the most important thing – 38%
- Really listen to each other – 38%
- Forget the bad, remember the good – 35%
- Never have secrets – 34%
- Share special experiences – 33%
- Hold hands in public – 32%
- Always tell the truth, even if it will hurt – 30%
- Have in-jokes – 30%
- Never go to sleep on an argument – 26%
So there you have it, always apologise and never, ever go to sleep on an argument and you will have a long and happy marriage.
Give your marriage a head start and come along to The Liverpool & North West Wedding Show 21/22 September where you meet lots of exhibitors from Liverpool and all over the North West and beyond to help you plan your happy day.